Mission StatementThe Hope Academy for Autism, in partnership with parents and the community, will provide a nurturing environment, and develop the full potential of gifted students within the Autistic Spectrum Disorders population, by using a multi – structured approach to address their individual needs.
- Partnering with Parents 100%
- Nurture and Accept the Student 100%
- Enrich, Inspire, and Empower the Family 100%
- The only appropriate education is in an effective education.
- Parental involvement and participation is crucial in a child’s education.
- Educational programs for the autistic child must be held accountable to produce outcomes that are socially valuable, functional, and acceptable for the child and their parents.
- A working relationship between Hope Academy for Autism and home is critical to the success of a child’s education.
- If the child cannot learn by traditional methods, then we must teach the way the child can learn.
- Any behavior a child displays is a form of communication. We must be patient and understanding of what they are saying to us.
- Everyone belongs in the community and we must create an environment that is safe for all.
Hope Academy for Autism - where all the pieces fit
Our Curriculum Plan:
Hope Academy for Autism provides a humanistic learning environment for children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Educational and scientific research indicates that highly structured, intensive education, especially in the early grades is the most appropriate teaching method for students of this population. In a collaborative effort with parents, Hope Academy for Autism has developed an innovative program to accommodate the individual needs of each student. Each aspect of the program represents a continuum of services and environments the most restrictive, to transition to a regular community involvement.
We will provide the equivalent of 180 days, 900/990 hours of instruction required yearly in the public schools. Daily hours of operation will be as followed Monday thru Friday 8:00 – 2:30.
Our Individual Learning Program:
Hope Academy for Autism will provide each student with an individualized education program according to the Ohio Department of Education requirements. The programming combines systematic instructional techniques based on the principles of applied behavior analysis:
- visual cueing systems
- communication training
- sensory integration
- direct social skills instruction.
Our Classroom Design:
Classrooms at Hope Academy for Autism will be designed to meet the needs of our children based on their IEP and developmental stage. Several criteria are taken into consideration when placing students into the class, including:
- Age – cannot be a 5-year difference from the youngest to the oldest student
- Cognitive ability
- Severity of behavioral symptoms
- Additional services based on their IEP.
Classes are designed to meet the development of communication, self-help, independence, social motor, sensory integration, and cognitive skills.
Our Core Content Curricula:
The Core content curricula at Hope Academy for Autism will support academic skill development and will include, but not be limited to the following:
Applied Behavior Analysis/Verbal Behavior Approach (ABA/VB) – The science of understanding and improving socially significant behavior. The Verbal Behavior The approach is based on the work of B.F. Skinner in 1957. Verbal Behavior (VB) is any communication involving a listener including speaking, signing, exchanging pictures, pointing, writing, typing, gesturing, etc. It also includes crying or displaying other problem behaviors in an attempt to obtain attention or tangibles, or to escape unwanted activities. An important component of VB is Intensive Trial Teaching (ITT). This refers to fast-paced VB instruction usually done at the table using error-less teaching, fading in demands, mixing and varying, prompting procedures and an established VR.
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) – A communication system developed by Dr. Andy Bondy and Ms. Lori Frost. Using this system, children are taught to exchange pictures of items to indicate their wants and needs.
- Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills (ABLLS) – Written by Drs. James Partington and Mark Sundberg, ABLLS Is often used within ABA/VB programs as an assessment tool, curriculum guide, and skills tracking system.
- Errorless Teaching – A technique used within VB programs to prevent or reduce errors. A prompt is provided immediately after the direction is given or question is asked and then that prompt is faded out via a transfer trial.
- Edmark Reading Program – A sight word based reading program.
- Reading Mastery – A multi – sensory phonetic based reading program.
- Project MORE – A reading program consisting of leveled readers that addresses sight words, word decoding skills, comprehension skills, and fluency development. This program is implemented by volunteer tutors 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week.
- Sensational Strategies Reading Program – A multi – sensory approach for beginning readers.
- Touch Math and Touch Money – A mult i- sensory approach to learning mathematics using touch points.
- Hand writing without Tears –
- Hands-On Standards Math – Academic content standards based math program using manipulative.
Not all programs will be used for every child. Their IEP and assessments will determine the programs that each child will need. During the implementation team meetings, the discussions will focus on what is working for the child and what additional program(s) will improve the child’s progress.
Eligibility and Enrollment
- The child with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, PDD-NOS, Rhett’s Disorder, or Childhood Dis-integrative Disorder.
- Ages: 3 years – 17 years
- Diagnosed by a licensed physician, psychiatrist, or psychologist.
- Trumbull County area resident.
CONTACT US TODAY:
1628 Niles Road SE
Warren, OH 44484
8:00 AM to 2:30 PM / Monday thru Friday
(PH) (330) 469-9501
(FAX) (330) 369-2455
If your child is eligible for enrollment at Hope Academy for Autism we look forward to meeting with you. Please call us today to schedule an appointment. For more information please fill out the form below and we will be in contact with you soon.